{WWW.MARTYMCCONNELL.COM} {NEW JOURNAL: martyoutloud.livejournal.com (no www required)}

Sunday, September 12, 2004

{this entry does not exist}

so I'm not writing much lately, perhaps but or perhaps because I'm reading all this mad modernist poetry, mostly in translation, and it's fascinating but doesn't trigger the writing...

however, I did write this crazy two voice piece that is actually four voices but I'd do three and someone else would do one. I'd post it here, but it wouldn't come through because it requires two columns on one page and I have no idea how to do that. sigh.

anyway, I'm hideously unmotivated to do things because I'm in Los Angeles. isn't that a fantastic excuse? I'm going to bed insanely early and getting up early and not eating meat or dairy or bread or drinking anything but juice and water. but it's been about five days of that and I'm thinking that's nearly enough. Mindy Netiffee is coming to hang out on the beach with me tomorrow and she's a pretty bad influence, so maybe I'll break the diet or something. whatever.

OK, I'm going to stop writing now because this is capital-L lame and I'm clearly spending too much time with Beau Sia.

oh, on the hilarity front: so we performed at this church, I mean Spiritual Center, this morning (oh, the glamour of it all) and during the half hour meditation before the service started, some man fell asleep and started snoring really really loudly. I swear to you that I and one random guy were the only ones looking around to see who it was. everyone there was very nice and I was hugged by many strangers. I tried not to flinch too overtly.

mentioning Beau reminded me of it because he kept whispering snide commentary and making me struggle mightily not to laugh out loud. which is bad because it makes ME come up with snide commentary. for example, when the fourth choir sings "I can feel the spirit moving in me" over and over again as church, I mean spiritual, songs do, and Beau says, "can't you feel the spirit moving in you?" of course I'm going to say "oh, I thought I was just hungry."

see? bad influences all around. plus there was a singer in from someplace South who looked for all the world like Regie Gibson's long-lost twin, and that just struck me as hilarious. plus he sang that "you lift me up" song that's always on the PA in 99-cent stores. he sang well, but I kept looking around for the sample-size shampoo.

but the service was lovely, really. I wrote something smart about it in my notebook, something about wondering if it's possible to disentangle a monotheistic religion from its patriarchal history while maintaining any of its trappings or original good intentions. but I'm not sure where that notebook is at the moment, and I'm going to eat a grapefruit and watch some bad TV now.




1 Comments:

Blogger M.C. Siegel said...

Regie Gibson's long-lost twin?!?! Wait?!?! You mean Roger?!?! I thought you guys were already knew each other....Yes....I know.....I'm very, very stupid....

2:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home