{WWW.MARTYMCCONNELL.COM} {NEW JOURNAL: martyoutloud.livejournal.com (no www required)}

Thursday, July 01, 2004

{better now than}

I am in better physical shape now than I was at 21. (ran the canals today)
I am a better poet than I was at 21. (was I poet then, at all?)
I am more sure of who this incarnation is than I was at 21. (where she's going, not so much)
I would not revisit 21 for more than a day, even given the chance.

why this obsession with decades?

great birthday moment (even though it came the day before): at my cousin's graduation/birthday party, I walk into the kitchen. my mother is speaking with a friend of my aunt's who says oh, are you the one getting married? and I say no, I'm the one who's NOT getting married. (note that both my sisters are engaged.) she says, oh that's OK, you're young. (pause.) how old are you now? and I say, 31. (pause.) oh. (pause.) well, you don't LOOK 31! (laughing a little) and I say,

that's because I'm not married.

now I'm going to make dinner and then go to the beach to hang out with the moon.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home