{WWW.MARTYMCCONNELL.COM} {NEW JOURNAL: martyoutloud.livejournal.com (no www required)}

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

{news}

so I just got a call inviting me to tape for Def Jam next week. excitement and trepidation... what to perform? cut something down to two minutes or limit the field to just what's already under time? how big a risk to take in the selection -- would Laci Peterson's body ever see airtime? part of me is also tempted to do the ultra-short poem about the actress shot by the mugger. and of course the REAL question... what do I wear? :) no stripes, no patterns, no white, no bright red... do I own anything interesting that doesn't fall into those categories?

I taped for the show its second season -- what was that, 2001? 2002? it seems a literal lifetime ago. part of my concern about what to perform comes from the fact I feel haunted by the poem that aired. sick unto death of it, couldn't perform it now to save my soul.

and how dumb am I? dumb enough to think "I should write something new for the show." what? it's next week! and what on earth would make me think that trying to write something excellent yet air-able in the Def Jam way would not spiral me into a massive fit of madness? and then, let's say I did write and memorize and perform something I thought was grand. it would be a one-week old poem! bound to get better after aging a month or so. and then forever and ever should it get aired it would be the Old Version. bad idea.

back to work... Tuesdays are a mass of distractions. fancy that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home