{WWW.MARTYMCCONNELL.COM} {NEW JOURNAL: martyoutloud.livejournal.com (no www required)}

Monday, May 23, 2005

the redemption of

tear down the moon and feed it to me
with garlic and bone-salt. tell me lies
like the sun is really a rutabaga
and you’re never going to leave me.
I want it all so deep no tweezers can reach,
so fast nobody will have time to tell me
shit. I love you. you’re a god down here
among men and men hate gods
who aren’t them. so they lock you up,
try to break your sweet mouth
to quiet. I know you could have
any woman you wanted if you were free
but here I am walking around and you
behind there and you love me. you do.
your words pull me through each day
like a good hymn or strong coffee.
I’m glad the warden reads your letters
before I get them. I wish everyone
in the damn world read them so they’d know
what kind of man I married. they can laugh
if they please. I know they think I’m a fool. folks
have stopped believing in what the love
of a good woman can do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home