{WWW.MARTYMCCONNELL.COM} {NEW JOURNAL: martyoutloud.livejournal.com (no www required)}

Friday, March 04, 2005

{strange weight of names}

I work with someone with the same name as someone I with whom I was romantically if briefly but intensely involved. I’m becoming friends with someone with the same name as my first love. and it’s odd, I’ve not come across this before, that the names roll with such weight in my mouth, heavy and sweet, so freighted like each name’s a pomegranate but each of its seeds is the size and fullness of a berry, threatening to spill. in spite of my wild affection for these people these new faces that turn at the noise of these old names it’s strange, the overtaking of meaning, palimpsest: parchment on which the original writing has been effaced, and something else has been written. (Greek, palin, again; psao, I rub or efface.) or, palmimpsest: a landscape in which most of the topographic features are not related to the materials at the land surface but are inherited from a buried surface at depth. or, a block of memory(2) that has been allocated, freed (or reclaimed), and then allocated again. Such memory may contain data from the previous use if portions of it remain uninitialised. This commonly occurs on the stack, especially if the compiler allocates large stack frames in anticipation of allocating data structures on the stack. If the palimpsest is being scanned conservatively, such left-over data may cause unreachable objects to appear reachable and thus become floating garbage. If it is scanned precisely, such left-over data, if treated as pointers, is a bug.

which, ironically, is why my work computer keeps crashing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home