{WWW.MARTYMCCONNELL.COM} {NEW JOURNAL: martyoutloud.livejournal.com (no www required)}

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

{this goes beyond creature of habit, I feel}

So this weekend I tried to submit to the Bellevue Literary Review because I have three poems that deal with health/mental health, etc. -- and I've been a huge slacker on submissions of late. Of Late being the past 4 months or so. Anyway, it wouldn't go through from my home computer so I emailed it to myself and just now remembered to send it.

Here's where it gets creature of habit-y:

BLR lists your previous online submissions on their site -- so after hitting "submit" it showed me all my submissions, including the one received today and the one they'd rejected that I had submitted ON THIS DATE LAST YEAR. What is that about? Is that a good sign or a bad sign?

I haven't heard back from a bunch of the magazines to which I submitted the last time I got inspired -- which I am going to pretend is a good sign. Like, maybe some of the poems are in the running. It's been less than 6 months, so I may not be making that up entirely.

In good news, I won the slam last night. And had fun doing it. St. Catherine rocked out, as did Peter's poem which wasn't totally memorized, and a flourish of a finish with Instructions for a Body so that I can't use it again until semi's, assuming I make semi's.

I have to train the women who want to slam to loiter at the back table before 7. The men are far more aggressive about getting on the list, and as a consequence our slams have been grossly (and I mean grossly) testosterone-heavy. Not OK.

Back to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home