{WWW.MARTYMCCONNELL.COM} {NEW JOURNAL: martyoutloud.livejournal.com (no www required)}

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

{can't win for losin'}

My little household is on something of a losing streak, about one major item per week. Three weeks ago, it was Fred (our name for that little external portable drive memory stick thing). Last week, it was my laptop power cord (left by Roger, somehow, in South Carolina.) This week, it's my PHONE.

And we know exactly where we last had each item. Fred we had in Lynne's apartment. Gone. The power cord, in a theater space, plugged in. Gone. My phone, in my hand on the way from Bar 13 to Reservoir Monday night. Gone.

We cannot afford to replace so many things in such short order! And now, Verizon tells me that in order to get a new phone through the insurance I've paid for, I have to file a POLICE REPORT. What? I have to find and enter a NYC police precinct office thing and say, hey. I'm a jackass and can't find my phone. I guess now I have to report it stolen and jack up the crime statistics for the whole city. Sorry!

so I turn to Free Will Astrology. And what sage advice do I receive? This:

After torrential rains caused flooding in the small town where I live, the Thai restaurant was one of the few downtown businesses that was spared catastrophic damage. The maitre d' explained to me why as I ordered my to-go dinner tonight. "We've always hated our tile floor. It makes the place feel sterile, and it's slippery. People lose their footing if there's even a little wet spot. But when the three feet of floodwater poured in, our tile floor held up. All the stores around us had wooden floors that were destroyed." This is your metaphor of the week, Cancerian. Something in your life that you have regarded as a problem will become a saving grace.

So apparently, these devices would have risen up and killed us in our sleep had they continued in our possession. Or rather, would have killed me, since Roger's in Oakland until Sunday. Good grief, Charlie Brown. Sigh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home